A table saw should be portable, versatile, and equipped with outstanding safety features so that you can transport it easily from one job site to another and cut through different types of lumber. This Bosch 4100-09 review will give you a glance into the features of a table saw produced by one of the industry-leading manufacturers.
The combination of portability and power makes this model an intriguing choice for homeowners and professional woodworkers. This 10-inch table saw provides a fair degree of cutting accuracy enabling you to cut through a broad range of lumber materials.
Our Bosch 4100-09 review will grant you insight into the table saw’s capabilities and help you decide if this table saw is a good addition to your workshop.
Update: The Bosch 4100-09 is no longer available. The company has since released the 4100-10, which is a slightly improved model. While we’ve left our original review intact, here’s what you need to know about the 4100-10.
Bosch 4100-10 Overview
The Bosch 4100-10 is nearly identical in features. Both use a 15-amp, 4-horsepower motor, equipped with a slow start and Constant Response technology.
However, the Bosch 4100-10 is slightly smaller, making it a bit more portable. It only weighs about 10 pounds less, but it does fit in a smaller space.
It also features a Gravity-Rise stand option, much like the 4100-09, but this updated version looks a bit different.
The updated 4100-10 has a 24-tooth blade rather than a 40-tooth blade. This makes it more ideally suited for rip-cutting dimensional lumber.
- More compact and lighter weight
- Comes with a 24-tooth blade ideal for rip-cutting dimensional lumber
- More expensive than the 4100-09
Key specifications of the Bosch 4100-09
Going through the model’s specs is the first thing you should do while searching for a new table saw, as its dimensions, maximum blade speed, or motor’s power can all contribute to the model’s effectiveness.
What’s more, in some cases a cabinet saw, maybe a more reliable option than a table saw, so you need to know the purpose for which you are going to be using the tool before you start exploring different options.
We’ve shortlisted some of the Bosch 4100-09’s key specs so that you can quickly determine if this table saw fits your needs.
|Motor||15 Amp, 4HP|
|Blade speed||3,650 rpm|
|Table size||21-1/2’’x 28’’|
|Power source||Corded electric|
|Latest price||Click here for the latest price|
- This table saw weighs 92 pounds;
- There’s a dust collection port that measures 2.5 inches;
- It cuts a maximum of 25 inches at a time;
- There’s a limited warranty of only one year.
What Comes in the Box
- The main product – the table saw;
- A smart guard system made of two components –anti-kickback pawls and a barrier-guard device;
- Miter gauge;
- Throat plate insert;
- An adjustment wrench;
- A push stick;
- One wheeled stand for the table saw;
- A carbide-tipped blade of 10 inches;
- A multi-function blade wrench;
- SquareLock Rip fence.
Bosch 4100-09 Review – Detailed Features
Bosch and DeWalt are dominating the table saw market, as both manufacturers offer a broad range of products that are capable of stunning performances. If you are not interested in some of the best DeWalt table saws, then the Bosch 4100-09 may be a great solution for you.
This model comes with a smart guard system, throat plate, a push stick, and an adjustment wrench that make using this tool much easier. Let’s take a closer look at the features Bosch 4100-09 offers.
Operating this tool isn’t difficult, even though it does require some woodworking experience. However, there are a number of shortcomings that impact the model’s functionality and limit the range of tasks you can perform.
Controlling the blade height is needlessly complicated, as the height of the wheel is controlled through the handwheel that cannot be locked in place. Although the blade remains at the same height while it is in use, locking it would make the tool safer to use.
Furthermore, the bevel locking lever is located behind the blade height adjustment wheel and you can use it to regulate the bevel angle. The lever is stiff and moving it to the ‘unlock’ position may take some effort.
Once the bevel locking lever is in the ‘unlock’ position the blade and the motor assemble lean sideways and you have to push them to the preferred angle before tightening the lever. Although, there are positive stops at 45 and 90-degree angles, adjusting the bevel angle is still very complicated.
Besides, the bevel scale doesn’t offer a great level of precision which makes Bosch 4100-09 only suitable for rough cuts.
Although it doesn’t have the most powerful motor a table saw can offer, Bosch 4100-09’s motor still has 4HP and 15 amps which provides you with enough power to cut through 8/4 hardwood lumber or sheet stock.
Tool’s maximum blade speed is set to 3,600 rpm, but this model also has an electronic speed control option so that you can adjust the blade speed to your current needs. In addition, the motor has a soft start feature that enables it to use less power and gradually increase the power consumption.
Besides the soft start option, the motor is equipped with Bosch’s Constant Response Circuitry that keeps track of its power consumption under load and allows it to adjust the torque accordingly while maintaining the blade speed at the same level.
The Gravity-Rise table saw stand that ships with the Bosch 4100-09 model are probably one of its most distinctive features. The stand is equipped with a pair of 8-inch treaded pneumatic wheels that enable you to move this 60-pound tool effortlessly.
You can also regulate the height of the Gravity-Rise stand, which allows you to adjust to the conditions at the worksite. The table saw has an aluminum tabletop, while the table’s size is 21-1/2’’x 28’’ when folded which gives you a fair amount of operating room.
The Bosch 4100-09 is made from sturdy materials that can withstand the wear and tear of daily use, and you won’t have to replace its components frequently.
Dust Collecting Feature
Unfortunately for all craftsmen everywhere, it is pretty hard to find a decent table saw in terms of dust collecting features. Only a few of them are actually effective without being messy. Still, you should always expect some sort of cleanup required after cutting, no matter how good the saw is. The 4100-09 model works pretty well at collecting most of the dust particles.
The product comes with a dust port where you can connect a shop vacuum that collects up to 80% of dust you create while cutting through different types of wood.
Even so, this tool won’t collect all dust particles produced in the process of cutting wood, and you will have to clean up after you’re done using the table saw.
Opting for a table saw like Hitachi C10RJ which has a dust port that collects dust automatically and stores it in the dust collection bag, maybe a better option if you want to get a tool that deals with dust particles effectively.
The Bosch Smart Guard system this model uses is arguably one of the most effective table saw safety systems you can get. This system contains an adjustable riveting knife, anti-kickback pawls, and safety guards.
The riveting knife can be locked in two different positions when it is used with and without safety guards, and you can also place it below the tabletop while making non-through cuts.
Making these adjustments doesn’t take much effort, but you should keep in mind that the width of the riveting knife is 0.9 so you must use the blade that has the same or slightly larger width.
You can attach the plastic safety guards to the riveting knife and then attach the anti-kickback pawls to the safety guards.
The safety guards give you a clear view of the blade once they are attached to a fork-shaped aluminum arm. Assembling and disassembling the Bosch 4100-09’s safety system may be difficult at first but the process becomes intuitive once you get the hang of it.
Blade and Ripping potential
This model ships with a 40 tooth carbide blade that fits into the motor’s 5/8-inch shaft. Optionally, you can use an 80 tooth blade while cutting through veneered panels.
The shaft is also compatible with almost all dado blade sets and changing blades takes only a few moments of your time as you just have to pull the arbor locking lever, and then use the wrench that comes with the product to remove the old blade and install a new one.
The tool’s tabletop has the dimensions of 21-1/2’’x 28’’ when it is closed, and its width can be extended to 40 inches. All you have to do is to move the locking lever and then extend the tabletop to the right.
By doing so you will gain 25’’ rip capacity on the right side of the blade and 8-inch rip capacity on the left side. Bosch 4100-09’s Squarelock Rip Fence is among the best fence systems for table saws as you can align it in just a few moments.
This 2-3/4T x 1-3/4W fence glides over the rails to the exact position in which you want to lock it in and clamps into a V-groove located on the back rail.
Another useful thing that the saw provides is a visual sign that shows the moment in which the extension feature is locked in place. When unlocked, a small piece of plastic appears above the surface of the table as a notification. That way, you will easily notice when the extension needs to be locked right before a cut.
If the other features can be described as either decent or very good, in terms of portability, this table saw really shines. For most people, their table saw’s portability level is very important. If that’s your case too, then this product should be on your list when you’re about to make a purchasing decision. This is by far the greatest characteristic of the 4100-09 model.
The saw is portable due to its lightweight structure. Moreover, all its pieces and spare parts can be easily stored right on the saw’s main body. Even safety equipment like miter gauge, the extra blade, and fence can be kept securely on the body of the table.
Bosch 4100-09 can be purchased with or without the Gravity-Rise table that enables you to adjust the table saw’s height or to relocate the tool. This model weighs just 60 pounds or 99 pounds with the Gravity-Rise table, which means that it is highly portable.
In addition, the Gravity-Rise table is equipped with a pair of 8-inch treaded pneumatic wheels that increase the model’s portability even further. The tool’s motor housing is made from impact-resistant plastic that has a hole in each corner.
These holes enable you to fasten the table saw to a workbench if you purchase it without the Gravity-Rise table. This model also has handles on either side which makes carrying it much easier.
Pros and Cons
- It is made from high-quality materials;
- If needed, it will be very easy for you to find spare parts or any accessory you want;
- The motor is a powerful one;
- Both the riving knife and the blade guard are easy to use;
- You can easily adjust the height of the base stand.
- Compatible with a variety of blades – Besides using the blade that comes with Bosch 4100-09, the tools allow you to install a variety of blades that have widths in the range between 0.9 and 0.94. This tool is also compatible with almost all dado blade sets which enables you to perform different types of cuts.
- Excellent portability – Although portability may not seem like an essential feature for a table saw, being able to move the tool easily allows you to change worksites often.
- In addition to the Gravity-Rise table saw stand that is equipped with a pair of wheels, Bosch 4100-09 is also lightweight and you won’t need anyone’s assistance to carry it with your hands.
- Utilizes Constant Response Circuitry – The tool’s motor is equipped with the Constant Response Circuitry technology that monitors the speed at which the blade is rotating.
- It also adjusts the motor’s torque without affecting the blade’s speed which prevents sudden speed oscillations while you are using the table saw.
- State of the art fence system – Labeled as one of the most accurate rip fences on the market, Bosch 4100-09 Squarelock Rip Fence lets you glide along the tool’s rail effortlessly. In addition, you can lock the rip fence into the desired position and perform small precision cuts.
- Great safety features – The Smart Guard system protects you from accidents by preventing jamming or kickback. Moreover, the riveting knife enables you to use blades that are slightly wider than the tool’s original blade. Even though it may take you a while to learn how to assemble it, after a few tries you will already feel comfortable using the tool’s Smart Guard system.
- Without proper maintenance, the saw’s motor might get a bit loud after a couple of years of use;
- The working surface is a tad small;
- You need to carefully adjust the fence because it can get stuck at times.
- Complicated bevel angle adjustment – Altering the bevel angle is needlessly complicated and you may end up needing an extra pair of hands to adjust the bevel angle accurately.
- Limited rip capacity – 25-inch rip capacity this table saw offers may not provide you with enough room to cut larger pieces of lumber. For instance, if you are planning on cutting wide sheet stock frequently the tool’s ripping capacity may not be enough for you.
- Dust collection capabilities could be improved – Although this table saw has a dust port that lets you connect it to a vacuum, you won’t be able to collect all the dust you make while cutting a piece of wood. Also, the tool doesn’t come with a dust collection bag.
Alternatives to Bosch 4100-09 Table Saw
1. DEWALT DWE7491RS Table Saw – My Top Pick
This table saw is manufactured by a reputable company; it is a premium product. It is highly accurate and powerful.
The Dewalt table saw weighs around 100 pounds. In other words, it is not very portable or lightweight. On the other hand, its base can be folded.
In fact, all Dewalt saws are great and sturdy.
- It is a portable table saw;
- It has a powerful motor;
- You will get good value for the price;
- It works accurately.
- In terms of accuracy, the saw’s miter gauge might not be perfect.
2. SKIL 3410-02 Table Saw – the Best Option for the Money
This portable heavy-duty tool is a budget-driven option and delivers great value for its price.
It is safe, and it does all kinds of basic cutting work, not to mention that this saw it is a low-cost one.
It measures only 67 pounds which makes the tool very lightweight. Still, the base part doesn’t have wheels.
This detail is important because it would make the saw more portable and manageable.
- It is a lightweight table saw;
- This product is very affordable.
- The lack of wheels can be an important disadvantage;
- It’s not created for daily use;
- The miter cuts could be better.
This table saw with heavy duty folding stand for fast setup and easy transport cut height capacity cuts through 4 times materials Self-aligning rip fence for accurate measurements. Miter gauge guides work pieces when making cross cuts EZ view measurement system for accurate settings.
This is a portable heavy-duty tool that offers a reasonable level of accuracy. Also, the Hitachi table saw won’t break the bank.
Although it does a decent job, you may think this isn’t a perfect option, and you would be right.
Nevertheless, it remains a popular choice among woodworkers. At first, you may need to be patient until you learn the proper way to use it.
- It brings a pretty good performance;
- It is a portable tool.
- It may be a tad awkward to work with it at first until you get used to it;
- Some other saws provide a better value.
High power 15-amp motor generates 4,500 RPM to rip through hardwoods quickly and with ease. Adjustable rip fence is fast, smooth and accurate and allows up to a 35” rip right capacity. 22” x 28-3/4” table top surface conveniently offers ample work space.
This table saw manufactured by Jet is very easy to assemble and use. Still, it is quite heavy so it will be difficult for you to move it around.
A few users even went to the point in which they stated that the product seems to be poorly designed.
- It is easy to set up and fold;
- This is a lightweight table saw;
- You can easily store your tools in the base part of the table due to its unique design;
- It is a well-appreciated saw used by experienced professionals.
- A few users have claimed that this product isn’t a high-quality one;
- Some say that the table is a tad unstable;
- It is expensive.
If you're looking for a jobsite table saw that's both powerful and portable, look no further than the all-new Jet B3NCH 10-Feet jobsite table saw with rolling stand. This table saw features a powerful 4.4-horsepower soft-start motor, 25-inch rip capacity, riving knife with anti-kickback pawls for safety and a heavy-duty folding stand with wheels for quick set-up and portability.
Although slightly heavier and bulkier than Bosch 4100-09, Evolution Power Tools RAGE5 is much more versatile.
The tool utilizes a 10-inch, 28-teeth R255-TCT blade that is made from Japanese tungsten steel.
This blade can cut through mild steel, plastic, aluminum, or wood without damaging them.
The tool also features a hi-torque gearbox that reduces the amount of stress the motor takes which improves its long-term performance and durability.
You can use this multipurpose table saw to rip through thin and thick stock as well as make accurate crosscuts.
Evolution Power Tools RAGE5 comes with a collapsible frame that features a pair of wheels which enables you to move or store the tool easily.
Utilising patented Evolution multipurpose cutting technology, the RAGE 5-S multipurpose table saw will easily cut steel, aluminium, wood and plastic using just one blade. The cut is fast clean and accurate, producing no burr and virtually no sparks when cutting steel. There is no heat build-up either, so the material is cool and can be handled straight away.
Like all DeWalt’s table saws, their DWE7485- QS Sierra De Mesa model is capable of performing accurate cuts with ease.
The tool has a 15 Amp motor with the capacity to rotate the blade 5,800 times per minute.
The model comes with a 24-tooth blade, but you should keep in mind that it isn’t compatible with dado stacks.
If you decide to purchase this table saw, you’ll also get a modular guard system, miter gauge, push stick, a riveting knife, anti-kickback pawls, and wrenches that enable you to change the blade.
This table saw has a 24.5-inch rip capacity, so you can’t use it to cut through large pieces of timber.
In fact, the tool’s 8.5-inch blade prevents you from cutting through thick materials.
You can also read our DeWalt DW745 review if you would like to get a table saw produced by this manufacturer.
This 22 kg table saw has been designed to be lighter and easier to transport, without reducing its rigidity and durability. Guide based on a rack and pinion system, fixed to the front and rear of the table that ensures that the guide remains parallel to the blade at all times, especially in extreme applications.
Bosch 4100-10 is a slightly improved version of the earlier Bosch 4100-09 model.
These two table saws have almost identical features, but tools utilize 15 Amp 4HP motors that are equipped with the slow start and Constant Response circuitry technologies.
Even though 4100-10 is slightly smaller, these two models have the same weight.
Furthermore, both table saws can be purchased with a Gravity-Rise stand, although the 4100-10 model comes with the GTA47W version of the stand that looks a bit different from the model you can get with the 4100-09.
Also, the Bosch 4100-10 doesn’t have a 40-tooth blade, but rather a 24-tooth blade that is according to the manufacturer better suited for rip-cutting of dimensional lumber which is the most common purpose for which table saw is used.
This tablesaw delivers both professional rip capacity and outstanding portability for a tool that can get the job done, wherever it is. The powerful 15 Amp saw delivers 4. 0 max HP for outstanding productivity. It also incorporates soft start circuitry for smooth but quick ramp up to the operating Speed to manage the intensity of motor start up and minimize the possibility of tripping a circuit breaker.
How to Choose the Best Table Saw – Main Steps
1. Think about the Purpose
How will you use this tool? Where and for what will you use it? Once you establish the type of work you plan to do with the table saw, you will have a clearer idea of what types of tools will work for your needs. Obviously, you will want a saw for your DIY projects, but you will have to browse through dozens of saws, each with its specific features and design.
2. Choose the Saw Category that Suits Your Preferences
There are three available categories when it comes to table saws:
- Benchtop table saws – these are Jobsite or portable tools, being light and small. They are easy to store and provide plenty of portability. If your workspace is limited, then these are the best option for you;
- Cabinet saws – these are larger tools that are mostly chosen by serious or more experienced woodworkers who have large workspaces. A cabinet saw can do it all. It works in an accurate manner, but they require plenty of space, so it isn’t very mobile;
- Contractor table saws – this is another popular choice among people who want to do woodworking on their own. Their motor is powerful enough to perform nearly all kinds of tasks. They might be heavy, but they are also accurate and durable. You will be delighted by how spacious the tables of these tools are.
3. Think About the Most Important Features
Among the most important features of a table saw, there are the following things:
- The type of the fence;
- How powerful the motor is;
- Blade-related considerations;
- The capability of the bevel;
- Safety-related features;
- Miter gauge; etc.
4. Do Your Research
Inform yourself before making a final purchasing decision. There is a wide range of table saws so you must search for the best ones in each category. Rely on in-depth product information gathered from reliable sources.
As we speak, the manufacturer is planning to replace the 4100-09 model with the upgraded and improved 4100-10 version. The main difference that the new model brings is in its wheeled base.
The latest version features a light stand which boosts the saw’s portability. Moreover, the 4100-10 is lighter than the 4100-09. Another notable change or improvement is given by the blade which has 24 teeth instead of 40. This modification is based on applications as well as customer feedback. Most users prefer to work with a 24-tooth blade when it comes to rip-cutting.
The saw already has its own dust-collecting feature. However, if you feel the need to add an extra piece to improve this function, you should know that this Bosch table saw is compatible with the following vacuum hoses: the Dust Bag-TS1004, the 35 mm adapter vacuum hose, and 2-1/2″ Vacuum Hoses.
Like many of the company’s products, both 4100-09 and 4100-10 table saws are made in China.
The short answer is no! It’s not that you need or doesn’t need to, but the riving knife of this saw was designed in such a way that it cannot be removed. To perform dado cutting, you will have to slide this feature all the way down until it reaches the tabletop.
This table saw can only cut through lumber, and you won’t be able to use it to cut plastic, metal, or steel.
You won’t have to spend more than $600 on this table saw, but you may have trouble finding it since the manufacturer released an upgraded version of this tool a while ago.
Despite a relatively powerful engine and great blade rotation speed, Bosch 4100-09 is not a heavy-duty table saw, hence it is better suited for a woodworking workshop than a worksite.
You can decide if you want to operate this table saw with or without the Smart Guard safety system installed. Even though using the tool without the safety system is possible it is not advisable as you may put your safety at risk.
Bosch 4100-09 Review – All Things Considered
Opting for the Bosch 4100-09 or it’s more recent version 4100-10 can be beneficial for people who need a table saw they can use in their workshop. These two models deliver enough power to cut through most lumber and provide excellent safety features.
Their accuracy leaves much to be desired since these tools are best used for rough cuts where half-angle inaccuracy won’t make much difference. Both models come with a Gravity-Rise stand that enables you to use them even in situations where you don’t have access to a flat work surface.
Innovative, gravity rise, collapsible table saw stand allows you to adjust height to meet your specific needs while the 8 inch treaded pneumatic wheels provide mobility from jobsite to jobsite.
- Best Chop Saws: How to Find the Ultimate Chop Saw: It’s important to make a great decision when choosing chop saws for your project. In this article, we show you how to find the best chop saws and some of the best options on the market.
- Best Scroll Saws: How to Find the Ultimate Scroll Saw: Read here to learn about the main features and differences to consider to find the best scroll saws for the job and some great options like the DEWALT DW788 or WEN 3921.
- The Best Worm Drive Saw: How To Find The Right One: The worm drive saw is a compact circular more powerful than the regular saw. In this article, we compare the features, pros, cons, and more of the best worm drive saw options available.