How to Find the Best Quality Screwdrivers
Some of the best quality screwdrivers on the market can come in handy in situations in which power tools are simply too powerful for the task at hand. Even if you don’t have a workshop in your home, you’ll need a screwdriver to perform small repairs.
Although most models you can find on the market are compatible with standard fasteners, their quality varies depending on the materials used to produce the shank and the tip.
Low-quality screwdrivers can become worn quickly as they lose their sharpness if they are frequently utilized to fasten or unfasten heavy-duty fixings.
This guide to finding the best quality screwdrivers will provide you with the information you need to choose a screwdriver that meets all your needs and offer an overview of some of the best models on the market.
|Best Overall: CREMAX Magnetic Screwdriver Set||Check latest price|
|Best for Sensitive Electronics: Facom Micro-Tech Screwdriver Set||Check latest price|
|Best Value for Money: Gearwrench 20-piece Screwdriver Set||Check latest price|
|Best for Home Workshops: Williams 100P-19MD||Check latest price|
|Best for Carpentry Jobs: Vessel Ball Grip Screwdriver||Check latest price|
|Best for DIY Projects: Wera 5105650001 Screwdriver Set||Check latest price|
|Most Affordable: Stanley Tools Screwdriver Set||Check latest price|
|Best Ratchet: Milwaukee Universal Screwdriver||Check latest price|
|Best Insulated: Klein Tools 32288 Screwdriver||Check latest price|
|Best Multi-Tool: Wiha 77792 Multi-Tool Screwdriver||Check latest price|
|Most Versatile: Makita B-50289||Check latest price|
|Best Hex Screw Set: Craftsman 9-31794 Set||Check latest price|
The Most Common Types of Screwdrivers
Although they may look alike, there are quite a few differences between screwdrivers since they are designed to match different types of screws.
Furthermore, not all screwdrivers are manual since ratcheting models are equipped with a mechanism that provides you with additional power. Screwdrivers are available in a wide spectrum of shapes and sizes that correspond with the screws they fasten or unfasten.
- Slotted screwdrivers are utilized in a broad range of contexts since the type of screw they are compatible with can be found in any household or construction site.
- Philips screws are also very common, and you can recognize them by an x shape on their heads; hence having a screwdriver that fits these types of screws can be useful in different situations.
- A hex key screw is frequently utilized to fasten small fixtures like doorknobs or towel bars, which is why matching screwdrivers usually have narrow recesses. Also, hex key screwdrivers are often L or T-shaped, and their shape helps you apply more force while you are fastening a screw.
- Torx screwdrivers are compatible with screws of the same name that come in a variety of sizes in the range between 0.031’’ to 0.81’’. A star-shaped tip characterizes them, and woodworkers and construction workers commonly utilize them to secure different types of surfaces.
Deciding between handles with interchangeable bits and complete screwdrivers
Investing in a set of screwdrivers is probably the easiest way to deal with different types of screws, but you must decide if you want to get a set that enables you to change bits or a set the features complete screwdrivers.
Both options have their advantages, but a set that comes with a broad range of bits will make you better equipped for different tasks. Besides, carrying a large number of screwdrivers with you wherever you go may take up space you can use to include other tools into your toolkit.
However, complete screwdrivers usually have a better reach as they can handle screws that are not close to a material’s surface.
Misplacing screwdriver bits is relatively easy, which is the reason why complete screwdrivers are a better option if you want to be sure that you can find your tools quickly when you need them.
What are screwdrivers commonly used for?
It is hard to imagine a garage improvement or roofing project that can be completed without a screwdriver. These tools are an essential item every household should have, even if you plan to renovate your home.
A driver like the DeWalt DCD777C2 may not be a great solution for everyone, as it may lack the accuracy you need to fasten or remove a screw. That’s why sometimes a manual screwdriver can be the best option for the task you’re trying to perform.
A screwdriver can be used for a broad spectrum of applications that span from assembling furniture to repairing electronic devices. However, the tip and blade size determines the applications for which a particular screwdriver can be used.
Advantages of screwdrivers
- Durability – With proper care and maintenance, a screwdriver can last for years. The majority of models have shanks, blades, and tips that are made of carbon steel, which enables them to stay functional despite heavy usage.
- Adjustability – Opting for a set of screwdrivers will enable you to quickly adapt to the requirements of the fastener you’re working with. Also, the models that allow you to change bits eliminate the need to carry multiple screwdrivers to a worksite.
- Precision – In case you want to repair an electronic device or fasten any small screw, it is unlikely that you will be able to complete this task with an impact driver. Manual screwdrivers provide accuracy that is required on high precision jobs.
Disadvantages of screwdrivers
- Lack of power – You have to rely on your strength whenever you use manual screwdrivers. Although ratcheting models offer a solution to this problem, they are still not powerful enough to handle demanding fastening tasks.
- Corrosion intolerance – Screwdrivers corrode over time if they are not kept in near-perfect conditions. This could impact their functionality, especially if the tip and the blade were affected by corrosion.
Things to consider while choosing the best quality screwdrivers
Anticipating which types of screwdrivers you will need can be difficult, especially if you are not an experienced DIYer, woodworker, or electrician.
The huge selection of different models you can find on the market further complicates the search for the best quality screwdriver. We’ve shortlisted some of the most important factors that will help you pin down the options that match your search criteria.
Fixed or removable bits
Conventional screwdrivers have shanks and bits that are made from the same material, which ultimately makes them sturdy and allows you to apply pressure onto the screw you are trying to fasten.
The only downside is that you are going to need a wide array of screwdrivers that are compatible with different types of screws. Models that allow you to change bits solve this problem since you can fit numerous bits onto a single screwdriver shank.
Nonetheless, reaching screws that a far below the surface of a material or removing a rusty screw with a multi-tip screwdriver can be difficult.
Purchasing just one screwdriver may not be enough as the model you get is only compatible with one type of screw. That’s why getting a screwdriver set is usually a better choice as it provides you with the versatility you are going to need on different projects.
In case you choose a multi-tip screwdriver, you will have to check how many pieces a set contains, as well as the quality of the tool that comes with bits. It is also advisable to ensure that the set you are interested in contains slotted, Philips, and other types of bits or complete screwdrivers.
Keeping a firm grip on the screwdriver during the process of fastening or removing a screw is vital since losing control over the tool may damage the material or injure you.
Choosing a model with an ergonomic polymer or plastic handle will enable you to better control a screwdriver and reduce that the handle will slip in your hands.
Standard VS Insulated screwdrivers
Screwdrivers conduct electricity, and it can be dangerous to use them if the object you’re working with is connected to a power source. Insulated screwdrivers are designed for electricians because they feature non-conductive handles and insulation over the shank.
Using standard screwdrivers with a live component always carries a risk of electrocution, which is the reason why you should opt for an insulated model if you are working with electricity often.
Shanks, blades, and tips of most models featured in screwdriver sets are made from the same material. Choosing a set that contains screwdrivers or tips that are made from carbon steel will ensure that you can use them for a long time.
Tips and blades made from this material tend to wear out slowly, so it is unlikely they are going to fail to engage the screw. Getting a screwdriver with a magnetic blade will eliminate the chances of screw engagement failure almost entirely.
The context in which you are going to use screwdrivers
The purpose of using a screwdriver is one of the best ways to determine which set you should choose.
Insulated screwdrivers are best suited for electricians as they cannot conduct electricity, but they are ineffective when utilized for carpentry or metalworking tasks.
You should also try to anticipate the type and size of screws you will be working with, as it will enable you to better understand which type of screwdriver you need to handle these screws efficiently.
Choosing the least expensive screwdriver set on the market isn’t necessarily a good idea, especially if you expect it to last. Even the high-end screwdriver sets can be purchased for a few hundred dollars, and spending more money on a seemingly pricy set can turn out to be a great long-term investment.
However, there’s no need to overspend on a screwdriver set if you just need a screwdriver you can use for simple home repair jobs.
CREMAX Magnetic screwdriver set – The Best Screwdriver Set
Most DIYers and hobbyists are going to love using the CREMAX Magnetic screwdriver set that contains five flat head and five Philips models. Each screwdriver in the set features an anti-slip handle that ensures you can keep a grip on the tool even when trying to remove a stripped screw.
The shank and the tip are made of S2 steel that is famous for strength and durability, while the blackening treatment makes these screwdrivers resistant to corrosion. The size of screwdrivers in the set varies between 0.11 and 0.23 inches.
The set comes with a magnetizer/demagnetizer tool that enables you to magnetize a screwdriver by simply placing it on its tip. This set ships with a case that provides you with sufficient storage space and allows you to carry the entire set with you to a worksite.
- Built from sturdy S2 stainless steel
- Blackening treatment protects screwdrivers from rust
- Ships with a magnetizer tool
- More affordable than similar screwdriver sets
- The set only features slotted and Phillips screwdrivers
- 30-month warranty period
Facom Micro-Tech Screwdriver set – The Best Screwdriver Set for Sensitive Electronics
Repairing sensitive electronic devices is going to be much easier if you opt for the Facom Micro-Tech screwdriver set that enables you to fix Smartphones, computers, and similar gadgets.
There are five screwdrivers in this set that are equipped with comfortable handles that prevent the tools from slipping in your hand. In addition, the tip and the blade of each screwdriver in this set are made of steel, which means that they are not going to lose their edge quickly.
The Facom Micro-Tech screwdriver set will ensure that you can remove stripped screws effortlessly and enable you to work with microscopic screws that are commonly featured in laptops and smartphones.
You should keep in mind that some of the screwdrivers in this set require batteries, so you must check which types of batteries are compatible with these screwdrivers.
- Lightweight and easily portable
- Built from durable materials that can last for years
- The set includes Philips, Pozi, and Slotted screwdrivers.
- Suitable for repairs of all types of electronic devices
- There are just five screwdrivers in this set.
- Limited range of applications
Gearwrench 20-piece screwdriver set – The Best Screwdriver Set for Machinery Repairs
You won’t have to worry about greasy hands if you opt for the Gearwrench 20-piece screwdriver set since each piece in the set has an oil and solvent resistant handle that enables you to keep control of the tool even if your hands are dirty.
Moreover, the dual material ergonomic handles have a Speed Zone design that allows for faster rotations at different torque values. Each screwdriver in this 20-piece set has a black oxide tip that prevents them from slipping when dealing with worn-out screws.
The set contains slotted and Phillips screwdrivers in different sizes, as well as several mini, T20, and T15 screwdrivers. Each piece in the set has an alloy polished shank that protects it from corrosion, further extending its performance capabilities.
- Easy access to unapproachable screws
- The dual-material handle provides a firm and comfortable grip over the tool.
- Black oxide tip ensures that you can tighten a screw without any risk of slipping.
- Lifetime warranty
- No storage case
- The set doesn’t include insulated screwdrivers.
Williams 100P-19MD – The Best Screwdriver Set for Home-Based Workshops
At first glance, there is nothing about the Williams 100P-19MD set that stands out, but a closer look at the features these screwdrivers offer reveals that they are a great fit for any home-based workshop. The 19-piece set consists of slotted and Phillips tips that come in a variety of sizes.
Stainless steel shanks allow you to apply a considerable amount of force onto the fastener you are trying to fix or remove. At the same time, the material makes these screwdrivers resistant to rust.
All pieces have magnetic tips so that you don’t have to worry about losing control of the screw you’re dealing with. The handle is equipped with a thumb to stop feature that allows you to apply additional force in case a fastener seems to be stuck.
- The set provides versatility with 19 different pieces.
- Magnetic screwdriver tips make it easier to handle stripped screws.
- The set comes with a dust-free pouch.
- Shanks of screwdrivers in this set are made of stainless steel.
- More expensive than similar screwdriver sets
- Only slotted and Philips screwdrivers are included in this set.
Vessel Ball Grip Interchangeable Screwdriver – The Best Screwdriver Set for Carpentry Jobs
The Vessel Ball Grip Interchangeable Screwdriver will provide you with the accuracy you need while working on a new shelf or cabinet drawer. This tool has a ball grip handle that reduces hand fatigue during prolonged use and makes it easier to control the screwdriver.
This model comes with several 3-inch hex blades that allow you to adapt to different types of screws and work with fasteners that are not easy to reach. In addition, this interchangeable screwdriver is compatible with all ¼-inch hex bits that are longer than two inches.
Unlike conventional screwdrivers, this Vessel’s model is not prone to corrosion since most of its components are covered in plastic. Moreover, this tool comes with a Pozdrive tip so that you can fix different types of furniture.
- Extra blade length allows you to work with fasteners in tight spaces.
- Ball grip handle reduces hand fatigue.
- Sturdy and durable
- Bits tend to wear out quickly.
- Only suited for hex screws.
Wera 5105650001 screwdriver set – The Best Screwdriver Set for DIY Projects
There are six pieces in this set, and each of them contains tip size and screw symbol markings that help you find the right tool for the task you want to perform quickly. This set is comprised of slotted and Philips screwdrivers that are compatible with most common fasteners.
Each screwdriver from this set has a micro-rough drive tip that prevents them from slipping out of the head of the screw. The Kraftform handles provide additional comfort while you are holding these tools, but you should keep in mind that they don’t have anti-slip features.
- Handle markings enable users to identify the size of the screwdriver quickly
- Laser tips eliminate the cam-out effect.
- Shank, blade, and tip are made from the same material.
- Limited lifetime warranty
- This screwdriver set contains six pieces.
- Compatible with a limited range of fasteners
Stanley Tools Precision screwdriver set – The Most Affordable Screwdriver Set
You don’t have to spend a fortune on a screwdriver set that provides you with the accuracy you need on your project. Stanley Tools Precision screwdriver set is an inexpensive option that allows you to handle miniature screws with utmost precision.
Each of the six pieces in the set has a yellow and black color scheme, and they are equipped with tips that are made from stainless steel. However, the handles are not very comfortable to hold, and they can slip from your hand.
The tips are not magnetized, which can make maintaining control over a screw difficult at times. Even so, the Stanley Tools Precision screwdriver set is a great choice for anyone who works with miniature screws on a daily basis.
- Great price-performance ratio
- Tips are made of sturdy materials.
- Perfect for delicate fastening jobs
- Each piece in the set has handle markings for quick identification.
- The handle is made from flimsy material.
- It can be difficult to remove a stripped screw.
Milwaukee 48222311 Ratchet Multi-Bit Universal Screwdriver – The Best Ratchet Screwdriver
Additional power, efficient storage, and versatility are just some of the advantages the Milwaukee 48222311 Ratchet Multi-Bit universal screwdriver has to offer.
This tool lets you store up to six bits inside the handle so that you don’t have to carry multiple screwdrivers to a job site. This Milwaukee’s model is designed for 3.4-inch bits that can reach screw heads that are below the surface of a material.
Each bit that comes with this bit holder is made from marine-grade, chrome-plated steel that isn’t susceptible to corrosion even when they are frequently utilized in damp conditions.
This tool also features a bi-directional ratcheting mechanism, which ensures that the blade is moving in the right direction. Besides the ratcheting option, this bit holder also has a built-in wire stripper and wire loop maker.
- Compatible with all ¼-inch bits
- Bi-directional ratcheting mechanism
- Offers bit storage space inside the handle
- Bit holder also has a wire loop maker and wire stripper tools.
- No insulation
- Lacks the accuracy required by miniature screws
Klein Tools 32288 Insulated screwdriver – The Best Insulated Screwdriver
Professional electricians are going to love using the Klein Tools 32288 Insulated screwdriver that enables them to switch between blades effortlessly. This set contains 3 slotted and Phillips tips and 2 squared tips in different sizes so that you can choose the one that best fits the demands of your project.
Both the handle and the blades have a 1000-Volt insulation rating, which eliminates the risk of electrocution even if you are working with live components. All you need to do in order to change a blade is to twist the lock collar and insert a new blade.
This insulated screwdriver set contains several slim tip blades that allow you to work in tight spaces. Besides the cushion-grip handle and 8 different blades, you will also get a carrying pouch if you opt for this insulated screwdriver.
- 1000-Volt insulation rating
- The quick blade change process
- Cushion grip handle grants complete control over the tool
- Slim tip blades for work in confined spaces
- Finding replacement blades can be difficult
- Limited range of applications
Wiha 77792 Multi-Tool screwdriver – The Best Multi-Tool Screwdriver
Arguably one of the most versatile screwdrivers on the market, the Wiha 77792 Multi Tool screwdriver comes with 14 double-sided bits that can be installed or replaced in just a few moments.
Also, the tool lets you store bits inside the handle so that you don’t have to carry a case with you whenever you want to use this multi-tool screwdriver on location.
This Wiha’s model ships with slotted, Philips, Pozidrive, Torx, square, and hex bits in a variety of sizes that match most commonly utilized screws.
The tool’s handle has a SoftFinish cushion that eliminates hand fatigue and ensures that you can keep a firm grip on the tool at all times. The huge selection of bits that come with this multi-tool screwdriver makes it suitable for application in a broad range of contexts.
- Bit holding handle allows for quick access to bits
- The tool comes with all common screwdriver bit types
- Built from sturdy materials
- A versatile tool for a broad range of applications
- Reaching recessed screws can be difficult
- Bits are not magnetized
Makita B-50289 – Most Versatile
Only a handful of ratchet screwdrivers on the market can compete with the Makita B-50289 ratchet and bit set. The anti-slip handle makes keeping the grip of the tool easy, while the steel shank provides sufficient power to remove even the most stubborn screws.
There are 47 bits in this set, and each of them is designed to handle a particular type of fastener. You can switch between square, Torx, slotted, Philips, or hex bits within seconds since the tool features a quick change bit holder.
Reaching screws that cannot be approached easily won’t be a problem since the Makita B-50289’s design enables you to operate in tight spaces without any restrictions. Consequently, hobbyists and professionals can benefit from getting this Makita’s ratchet screwdriver.
- Huge selection of bits
- Comfortable anti-slip handle
- The straightforward bit replacement process
- Not suitable for repairs of electronic devices
- No anti-corrosion coating
Craftsman 9-31794 Screwdriver Set – Best Hex Screw Set
Although it will not burn a hole in your budget, the Craftsman 9-31794 screwdriver set is still more expensive than sets with similar features. There are 17 slotted and Phillips screwdrivers in this set, but none of the pieces have a hex or square tip.
Moreover, these screwdrivers are not magnetized, so you may experience difficulties while trying to maintain control over a screw. Besides different tip sizes, the blade length of screwdrivers in this set also varies, which enables you to reach recessed fasteners effortlessly.
Handles of pieces included in the Craftsman 9-31794 screwdriver set cannot be called ergonomic, but they still provide enough comfort to avoid hand fatigue during prolonged use. Shanks, blades, and tips are made of alloyed steel, but they don’t have a coating that protects them from rust.
- This set contains 17 pieces
- Screwdrivers have different blade lengths
- Suitable for hobbyists and professionals
- The set contains a 4-in-1 pocket keychain
- Tips are not magnetized
- The set features only slotted and Phillips screwdrivers
Answer: The cost of a single screwdriver or an entire set depends on the purpose for which the tool was designed. However, you won’t have to spend more than a few hundred dollars to get a high-end set of screwdrivers.
Answer: No, they are not. Screwdrivers are designed to fit a particular type and size of a screw, and you won’t be able to use them if a screw is smaller or larger than the tool’s tip.
Answer: Screwdrivers are known as some of the most durable tools on the market, but their lifespan isn’t unlimited. Eventually, their tips and blades will become worn after several years of usage.
Answer: Keeping your screwdriver set in a dry room is probably the best way to store these tools. In case you purchase an entire screwdriver set, you should use the case that comes with the set for storage purposes.
Our Verdict: Which Screwdriver Set Has The Most to Offer?
Applications for which you will be using screwdrivers can give you a pretty clear picture of which model you should choose.
In case you are encountering hex screws in your work regularly, then there isn’t much sense in getting the Craftsman 9-31794 screwdriver set that features only slotted and Phillips screwdrivers.
On the other hand, the CREMAX Magnetic screwdriver set will meet most homeowners’ demands since it contains 10 differently sized pieces. However, this set may not be a great choice for professionals that work with electricity or need the tools they can use to repair broken machinery.
Which of the best quality screwdrivers are you going to choose? Leave a comment and let us know or check out some of the best Milwaukee impact driver models.