- Wen Track Saw Review: Do We Recommend? - June 16, 2022
- SuperMax 16-32 Drum Sander Review – Top Recommended! - June 16, 2022
- The Best Basement Kitchen Ideas and Concepts! - June 16, 2022
Most construction workers or persons who enjoy doing woodwork normally prefer battery-powered tools. This is so convenient since you can use them anywhere and at any time without having to search for a power outlet as their batteries last longer.
If you are a consistent woodworker, then you should have a miter saw which is a very powerful tool. It should also be a model that is battery-powered and cordless. There are various kinds of miter saws in the market and you might find it difficult to select the right one for you.
So, in this article, we will discuss cordless miter saws, why you need one, and factors you should bear in mind when choosing one. We’ll equally show you our top picks across the market based on the factors which we will discuss towards the end of the article.
What Are the use of Cordless Miter Saws?
The miter saw is the right tool to use if you want to make several cross cuts or miter cuts into wood boards or trim. Sometimes, they are referred to as chop saws and are very good at making square cuts.
They make constant miter cuts and this is a very important feature as it will keep walls and flooring square for the construction site and can change the world of wood projects from picture frames to boxes. Check out how Miter Cuts compare to Bevel cuts in our full comparison.
Why Use A Battery-Powered Miter Saw
There are numerous reasons why you should make use of a cordless miter saw. First, these kinds of saws are very safe, useful, and quite inexpensive compared to a normal corded saw.
Next, since it is cordless and battery-powered and does not need to be plugged into a power source to function, you can use it anywhere and not necessarily in the shop or at home.
Various DIY projects are done in places where there are no power outlets and you can access easily. Hence, you will have to run heavy long cords to where an outlet is so that you can do your work.
With a cordless miter saw, you can wave that option bye as you won’t have cords scattering all over your workplace. This will also reduce the hazards that some faulty wires could cause, and save you money, reduce stress and time.
Miter saw with cords normally need you to replace these cords at some points, especially when they are worn out or burnt. Hence, you will save repair or replacement expenses when you use a cordless miter saw, and you wouldn’t bother about their weight since they can be easily moved about due to the durable and latest components used in constructing them.
Best Cordless Miter Saws: Our Top 10 Picks
The invention of cordless technology is widespread in modern days and has gone far ion almost all aspects of life. Even now, people use batteries to power big and large tools or equipment.
The competition is widespread over different manufacturers so you will find a lot of cordless miter saw out there.
However and to help you get a good cordless miter saw that will help you handle your woodworking jobs without stress or problems, we have done a market survey and drawn up a list of the best ten miter saws in the market. These include;
1. Makita XSL02Z Cordless Miter Saw – Best Overall
The Makita XSL02Z Cordless Miter Saw has a lightweight of about less than 15 pounds which makes it easy to move about.
It sports a rechargeable 18-volt lithium-ion battery which can let you make up to 270 cuts before it will need a recharge.
Due to the automatic speed change technology, the saw will conserve energy while still providing you with the necessary 5700 RPM of cutting power for your task.
At the base, it has an aluminum fitting that enhances the stability of the saw and an electric brake that ensures safety while working.
Unfortunately, it could experience some problems when you are using it to split harder woods and do not cut more than two inches at a time.
Hence, it is used for lighter jobs and the battery and charger, do not come with the pack. You will have to buy them separately and on a higher side.
Additionally, the Makita XSL02Z Cordless Miter Saw has bearings in the upper sliding rail that are quite rough, especially when moving it slowly.
- It comes with a double battery technology at the same time and can generate more power for longer periods than a single battery can.
- Possesses automatic speed change technology that lets you adjust its blade speed and torque while cutting.
- It has a brushless motor that functions with fewer parts, keeping it cool and running smoothly for more longevity.
- 5700 RPM
- Large diameter cutting capacity
- Four steel rail sliding system
- 18-volt battery
- Automatic speed change technology
- 270 cuts per charge
- Aluminum base
- Electric brake
- Slider bearings feel rough
- Can’t cut anything over 4” wide
- The blade is very small
- Battery and charger are bought differently
- The stand out feature of using two batteries can also be a negative as you will need to make sure both are charged to get your power output
- Using two batteries side-by-side will make that portion of the saw heavier and more awkward to move when the batteries are loaded
2. Milwaukee M18 Cordless Miter Saw
One superior feature about the Milwaukee 2734-20 could be the M18 battery which is very reliable and of high quality.
When doing woodwork and using a cordless miter saw, it is necessary to have a good and durable battery.
The battery stores enough power to let you make more than 400 cuts before you will have to recharge it.
It has an inbuilt locking system you can use to adjust and lock it in place when cutting a wood piece and a shadow cut line indicator, thus giving you a straight and clean cut.
However, it is not the best or topmost on our list as it does not produce quite enough cutting power as the first and has a quite heavier weight which makes it not easy to move about. Check out our full list of Best Milwaukee Band Saws.
- 400 cuts per charge
- Cam locking miter system
- Shadow cut line indicator
3. DeWalt DCS361B Cordless Miter Saw
Featuring and incorporated cut line crosscut positioning system and an adjustment-free line indication, the DeWalt DCS361B cordless miter saw is a suitable tool for woodworking projects.
It has a modifiable stainless-steel miter detent plate with 11 stops that aids in increasing efficiency and improving the accuracy of your cuts.
It weighs about 30 pounds and can be carried about easily though it can handle a board of about 2 x 8-inches perfectly.
In the world of miter saws, Dewalt is a popular and trusted brand and that is why you have no worries when using this model as it has a backing three-year limited warranty. The brand is known widely and has a lot of customers all over North America.
One of the disadvantages of this model is the fact that you get to buy the charger and battery separately hence increasing the normal cost of purchase. This makes some people shy away from it since they do not own other DeWalt-made tools.
You can find the DCS361B in two forms which are the bare-tool-only option (this particular version), and a precision trim-blade-plus-tool option so you can choose whoever catches your fancy.
On the bright side, you can use other batteries from other DeWalt tools to power your miter saw if you already have some power tools that take part in the 20V Max battery sharing platform. This is a huge advantage for regular.
It has a white LED light that shines across the blade of your miter saw to provide a shadow line to aid you in aiming your cuts correctly hence increasing its accuracy. In dark areas, it is a very useful feature and would not perform well in brightly lit places.
Nevertheless, the manufacturer allows you to switch to another color of LED if the white doesn’t supply good light in the daytime.
- A durable stainless steel detent plate has eleven different locations
- Integrated cut line crosscut positioning system
- Adjustable stainless-steel miter detent plate
- 8″ cut capacity
- No-load speed motor with a speed of 3,750 RPM
- Has a cam lock system that secures the angle of the saw immediately you set it up.
- Can use the 20 Volt MAX battery line from DeWalt
- An Integrated cut line cross-cut positioning system provides an adjustment-free cut line indication for better accuracy and visibility. Capacity to cup 3 5/8in nested crowns and 3 1/2 base vertically
- Adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 11 positive stops
- Compact, lightweight design (30 lbs.) allows for easy transport and storage
- Difficult to change blades
- Does not come together with battery and charger like some other cordless miter saws
- 7 1/4 inch blade is geared towards cutting molding or plumbing pipes and it is too small for most woodworking applications.
4. DeWalt DCS361B Miter Saw – Best Value
The DeWalt DCS361B features an incorporated cut line crosscut positioning system that presents an adjustment-free line indication.
It has an adjustable stainless-steel miter detent plate with 11 stops that aids in boosting your accuracy and efficiency while cutting.
It can satisfactorily cut a 2 x 8-inch board and has a weight of not up to 30 pounds, which makes it portable enough to move about easily.
This model is the precision trim-blade-plus-tool option and just like its twin with the bare-tool-only option above, you will have to buy the charger and battery.
- Integrated cut line crosscut positioning system
- Adjustable stainless-steel miter detent plate
- 8″ cut capacity
- Difficult to change blades
5. Ryobi 18-Volt ONE+ 7-1/4 in. Cordless Miter Saw
The miter saw once in the low class of the market, but after Ryobi refurbished it through the process of functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging, the Ryobi Cordless Miter Saw is one of the best miter saws in the market. It has been tested properly and certified to be like a new product.
It comes with some ONE+ batteries that charge quickly and supply you with a steady 18-volt discharge as you carry out your woodwork and DIY projects.
While working, the charger assists in protecting the battery while saving energy.
- Has a carbide-tipped saw blade with 24 teeth to cut into various woods quickly and efficiently
- Has an “exact line” laser adjustment system that lets you accurately line up your lumber without having to worry about being off the mark before you cut
- Rechargeable 18-volt batteries that charge in an hour, but can last for longer hours during use.
- Incorporated small dust bag that fills quickly and requires constant change-outs
- A small 7.25-inch blade that can’t handle larger wood stock hence taking up much time in a single task
6. DeWalt DHS790AB Miter Saw – Premium Choice
If you prefer to plug in your miter saw, then the DeWalt FLEXVOLT miter saw will the best for you as it grants you the option to either use it cordless or plugged in. This could be a necessity in a situation when your batteries die at a crucial point and you need to handle a task.
It features a powerful 120-volt brushless motor that can supply 3800 RPM of cutting power.
Also, it takes quite a while to charge the saw and it has a weight that makes it not to be easily movable.
At some point, the plug-in adapter normally trips a fuse when working on harder woods.
Nevertheless, it has an exclusive CUTLINE blade positioning system that helps you in achieving accuracy in your cuts and making adjustments quickly.
- 289 crosscuts per charge
- 120-volt brushless motor
- Cutline blade positioning system
- 3800 RPM
- The adapter may blow fuses
7. DEWALT DHS790AT2 12-Inch, Double Bevel, Compound, Sliding Miter Saw
This wonderful miter saw from DeWalt is fitted with a new kind of cutting edge battery technology that can transform voltage when it is placed into other tools.
This is the first of its kind and this flex volt system can repeatedly change between 20 and 60 volts, supplying you with additional power when you need it and at a level that you won’t find in other cordless systems.
Additionally, it lets you use the cord option, though the battery can run till you have achieved about 289 Cross Cuts in 3-1/4″ baseboard molding.
- Incorporates a tall fence to position larger moldings or timber against while working
- Has clear, concise and high-contrast
- Has two batteries and a quick charger that provides you with more power and less downtime between charges.
- Price is on a high side and will not fit a small budget
- Is not very user-friendly and will present a tough usage for beginners.
8. Milwaukee 2734-20 Cordless Miter Saw
In most Milwaukee models, you will find the Red Lithium battery pack which provides additional running time in performance and power.
The 2734-20 Milwaukee Miter Saw has an increased battery life that when you charge it fully, you can conveniently make 400 cuts though it would require more power when cutting thicker and unique pieces of wood and would not get up to 400 cuts.
It also sports the brushless motor which ensures its durability and longer lifetime as you can use it for years without having to change it.
During this time, it will still keep providing you with nothing less than a high performance and accurate cuts.
The model has an impressive capacity with 10” of room for you to work with as you wouldn’t find in the average corded models or common cordless class.
- 10” bevel sliding miter saw, amongst the largest in the cordless class
- 2 x 12” horizontal cut capacity at 90°, 5-¼” vertical capacity nested crown
- Miter detent plate with 11 detent locations and a dual bevel with 9 detents and user-friendly bevel lever
- Carrying handles on both the top and side of the saw
- Shadow Cut line indicator for accurate cuts when lining up pieces
- Quite on the high side of pricing
9. Bosch GCM18V Miter Saw
The impressive 10⅝-inch crosscut is one of the important things to note about the Bosch GCM18V-08N.
The Bosch GCM18V Miter Saw has a rechargeable 18-volt battery and is fitted with a brushless motor which makes it last much longer than a brushed motor.
There is a laser guidance system that assists you in achieving straighter and accurate cuts.
Unfortunately, the weight of the Bosch 18V Cordless Miter Saw is surpassing almost all other brands on this list hence you cannot carry it about easily.
You will also have to buy the charger and battery separately which increases the cost of purchase.
- 10⅝” crosscut
- Brushless motor
- Valuable if you’re already invested in a Bosch cordless
10. Makita XSL06PT Dual-Bevel Sliding Compound Cordless Miter Saw
The Makita brand is one of the first companies to make professional-grade cordless tools and is well known for their cordless tools.
With the Makita XSL06PT Miter Saw model, they have shown their unwavering commitment to maintaining their stand in the market as it comes along with a dual-bevel, 2 – 18v LXT Lithium-Ion batteries, and supplies 36 volts to the motor.
Among other brands, Makita is known for its LTX battery system that recharges quickly in about 20 minutes or less ,hence launching you into your woodwork task without wasting much time.
The batteries also let you work for a long time, achieving about 334 cuts after a charge.
It also sports a brushless motor hence reducing the cost or stress of maintaining it regularly as it provides quick, precise, and smooth cuts.
It has an automatic adjustment system that adjusts the brushless motor speed, depending on the density of the material and laser light that helps to align cuts flawlessly.
- Soft start
- Rubberized soft grip handle
- The large-sized aluminum base gives stability for efficient cutting
Buyer’s Guide: Factors to consider when choosing the best Cordless Miter Saw
You have seen our best 10 cordless miter saws and it is now time to choose one to handle your woodwork or DIY tasks. How do you know it is right for you? Before you buy a cordless miter saw, there are some factors you should look out for.
In every electronic tool that has a battery, it is very necessary to ensure that the battery is one with sufficient power if not it will not be able to handle tasks properly.
For your miter saws with battery, you will come across a broad assortment of Lithium-ion battery packs that are used to power it. Nowadays, the battery packs can hold more than 18-volts charges.
This is the ability of the miter saw to cut wood at a certain angle or bevel hence, making compound cuts. You should as well lookout for this feature since it makes your work more efficient and quicker as you would not have to keep on adjusting the miter saw and changing cutting angles.
Position of Controls
The controls of your miter saw are paramount too as some models have then on and off switch on the handle while some are at different parts of the body. It should be one that is easy to access to improve speed and efficiency.
It is a saw and can do a lot of damage to the human body. The safety of your miter saw is a necessity when choosing a suitable one for you. Some saws do not come with a working blade guard and aren’t proper for use.
While working, you will have to put up with lots of dust so your miter saw should be one that has an appropriate dust extractor that will help keep the dust away so that you can see your cuts clearly and avoid clogging. Additionally, your miter saw should incorporate electronic brakes and overheat protection.
Why should it be cordless if it is not portable? Since we are referring to the need for cordless miter saws, they should as well be light enough to be moved around.
In the draughtsman world, it is known that heavy tools deliver more power and accuracy but there are still lighter tools that can do much too. Hence, you should get a cordless miter saw that can handle your tasks perfectly and is still portable enough.
The ability of your miter saw to deliver straight cuts and produce accurate angles is essential in woodwork if not you can’t make fitting projects. Hence, you should look for cordless miter saws that have a line guide (especially laser line) that aids in making accurate cuts.
The crosscut of your miter saw tells you of the width off cut it can achieve and this is mostly seen on larger saws. It is a feature you should check out for depending on the kind of project you want to handle.
Safety Precautions when using a miter saw
When using a miter saw, it is necessary to observe safety though it has no cords that could be dangerous during bad weather. However, the blades could be dangerous so you should observe some precautions. Examples include wearing;
- Safety glasses with side protection
- Earplugs or earmuffs
- Heavy-duty gloves
- Breathing mask
The average and most suitable blade sizes are 8, 10, and 12 inches though you should note that larger diameter blades make longer cuts.
Although a 12″ miter saw has more power and higher cutting capacity, a 10″ saw can cut woods more smoothly and quickly.
It is a good investment as long as you know what you need it for.
The dual bevel miter saws are the most appropriate for handling a large volume of work and working with crown molding and other trim workpieces. They handle repetitive cuts easily and do not require you to rotate the material.
The Ryobi Compound Sliding Miter Saw matches its price relatively as it has dust control you will find in expensive miter saws.
With our richly structured article, we hope that you find it useful in choosing the right cordless miter saw that can handle your woodwork projects. We wish you the best of luck in your draughtsman journey and your home projects.