Rotary tools are a must when you’re doing home repairs or making improvements. I’m sure the fact that Dremel is a leading brand of these types of tools comes as no surprise.
To help you with this issue, I have written this comparative review in which you will find the main differences between these two items.
They might look very much alike, and you can use both of them to fulfill the same type of jobs around your house, but they have features that set them apart. These elements are related to the rotary tools’ performance, accessories, and more.
Main Differences Between Dremel 3000 vs 4000
The main differences between Dremel 3000 vs 4000 are:
- Dremel 3000 has a 1.2 amp motor, whereas Dremel 4000 has a more powerful motor of 1.6 amp
- Dremel 3000 features a variable speed (RMP) up to 32,000, whereas Dremel 4000 offers RPM up to 35,000
- Dremel 3000 has a soft and comfortable grip, whereas Dremel 4000 has a total control grip with a 360-degree area
- Dremel 3000 offers 28 accessories, whereas Dremel 4000 offers 30 accessories
- Dremel 3000 is the budget friendlier option of the two, whereas Dremel 4000 is an updated, pricier version
- Dremel 3000 does not have the speed dial and electronic speed control feature, whereas Dremel 4000 has those features included=
Dremel 3000 (Full Review Here) lacks electronic feedback control, but the company has fixed this issue by releasing the 4000 model on the market. This particular feature is highly essential because it offers you a signal in case something doesn’t work properly or if your grinding is way too hard.
With the initial rotary tool, you must figure all these things out by yourself, so you don’t have the same level of control. In other words, if you don’t have experience working with this kind of tool, you can make a lot of mistakes using a completely manual product.
Separate Speed Controls
Both Dremel models come with variable speed controls. However, the newest option takes things to the next level by also featuring a speed dial that you can easily and quickly turn on and off.
Basically, it is a lot easier for you to change speeds when you use the Dremel 4000. With it, you will be able to change the speed even when you’re working with the tool, without even stopping it. This ensures optimal results on your project. Separate speed controls come in handy when you’re doing woodwork or craft projects, in which you must put a lot of precision.
The company has created both tools focusing on the experience and satisfaction of the end-user. Both models have a sleek design that’s also ergonomic, which means you can work with them as much as you want without facing any problems, whatsoever.
In terms of design, I couldn’t say that one model is better than the other. Even though one has a slightly darker color, this won’t affect or impact the way you use the tool or its performance. Finally, you should know that both products have cords. Hence, you will achieve the exact same effect, no matter which way you want to go.
Dremel 3000 vs 4000 – How Do These Models Compare in Terms of Durability?
For starters, the latest version provides better attachments. Still, users say that both products come with very similar accessories in terms of features and durability. Once I compared the two models, I got the sensation that both of them are pretty much the same regarding their sturdiness.
The only issue I could find with these tools was the fact that fine and tiny particles of dust might sometimes get inside them, which can affect the connection. However, you can blow the dust out by using compressed air.
If I think about it, there’s also another problem linked to when you drop the tool. There’s a blue grounding wire attached to the product that comes out of its place if you drop the gadget. In that situation, you must open the tool in order to reinsert the wire. Still, this doesn’t happen as often as one might think.
Otherwise, both Dremel 3000 and Dremel 4000 feature solid durability so they won’t break that easily if accidents happen or if you drop them.
Dremel 3000 – Brief Description
- It’s a great mix of effectiveness and power. It can cut through several different materials such as wood, marble, metal, and more. It’s lightweight yet sturdy, and the box contains 27 accessories;
- Its design is an ergonomic one. The grip is soft, and the machine is lightweight which makes it easy to handle, even if your hands are rather small;
- It comes with several useful accessories for jobs like cutting, carving, polishing, and even sharpening. So, basically, you can do anything you want with this tool;
- The speed is variable so you can adjust it to your liking. All you have to do is adjust it in order to suit the materials you’re about to tackle;
- There’s a nose cap wrench that’s built in the tool and allows you to easily change accessories, without a struggle.
Dremel 4000 – Brief Description
- This tool combines the perfect levels of practicality and technology. It has an impressively strong motor, yet it remains easy to manipulate. Dremel 4000 is the ideal choice for professionals, but it’s very user-friendly so even newbies can handle it;
- The shape of the tool is a nice and ergonomic one, and the rubber grip makes it easy to control. Simply put, you can hold this rotary tool any way you want because it won’t slip;
- There’s electronic feedback featured on the tool that’s placed strategically. So, you will get notified whenever you’re using a higher speed than you should or putting too much pressure;
- The speed dial helps you control the tool while also monitoring the speed you’re working at. The dial is wisely placed so that it won’t disturb you when you hold and handle the tool;
- This model is compatible with all the accessories and attachments manufactured by Dremel.
Dremel 3000 vs 4000 – How Much Do These Tools Cost?
In terms of pricing, there’s also a difference. As you’d expect, the 4000 model has a higher price tag compared with the previous version. The difference in cost is given by the fact that Dremel 4000 has a better performance and more features. Still, believe it or not, some people don’t really consider the price difference justifiable.
On Amazon, a brand new Dremel 3000 rotary tool costs around $63.65. This price is for the entire kit that comes with 28 accessories and two attachments: sander, engraver, grinder, polisher, carver, and more.
On the other hand, on the company’s official website, you will find two different Dremel 3000 kits; the difference is given by the number of accessories that come with the product.
The Dremel 3000 has a 10-step variable speed that ranges from 10,000 to 33,000 RPM. It's a powerful rotary tool that will satisfy all your needs for an exceptional price. It has a high-speed motor which means it will last a long time.
Obviously, the 4000 model is a more expensive one because it is an improved and upgraded version of the 3000 tools. You can buy it on Amazon for at least $94.
When it comes to the latest model of this gadget, you can choose from no less than six available kits. If you don’t believe me, go see it for yourself, on the official website of the manufacturer.
*Note! All the prices mentioned above are subject to change. So, by the time you check these products out, the cost featured on those online shops might be slightly different than the ones provided at the moment (based on market changes, promotional offers, and more).
|Dremel 3000||Dremel 4000|
|Length||7.5 inches||9 inches|
|Weight||1.2 pounds||1.4 pounds|
|Motor power||130 watts||175 watts|
|Adjustable speed levels||5,000-32,000 RPM||5,000-35,000 RPM|
|Compatible with||Not compatible with other attachments||All Dremel attachments|
Dremel 3000 vs 4000 – What Are Users Saying?
Most users are satisfied with the way these products work, saying they are effective, sturdy, and easy to handle. Once you purchase a Dremel rotary tool, you will have the pleasure to enjoy it for a long time because of its high level of durability.
According to clients and reviewers, the latest model provides better attachments. The tool is very versatile, which means you can use it to do all kinds of home improvement projects. The 3000, on the other hand, is also a good product, but it doesn’t make users feel the “wow” factor.
Although it is hard to believe, there are some people out there that like Dremel 3000 better than the 4000. One thing’s for sure: 3000 is the ideal option for beginners while the newer model is good for more experienced users. It is also very clear to me that buyers consider these products a must-have for solving plenty of projects around the house.
Dremel 3000 vs 4000 – Pros and Cons
Dremel 3000 Advantages
- It’s a great option if you are on a tighter budget;
- It’s the ideal choice for sanding works and projects;
- This model is affordable without really sacrificing quality and performance;
- It features a useful twist nose cap.
Dremel 3000 Disadvantages
- It is corded so that might get in the way of using it anywhere you want;
- It isn’t compatible with other attachments made by Dremel.
Dremel 4000 Advantages
- This is a more powerful tool compared to its predecessor;
- It has a compact and lightweight design;
- Comes with a separate switch that you can use to lower or increase the speed;
- It also has an EZ mechanism that enables a quick top part change;
- It is compatible with all the other attachments made by the company.
Dremel 4000 Disadvantages
- Being an improved version of the Dremel 3000 tool, the 4000 model is more expensive;
- Just like the initial model, this one also comes corded.
Rotary Tool Basics
We’ve talked so much about how these products are and their differences and similarities, but we haven’t had the chance to discuss a bit about the types of jobs a rotary tool can do. Here it is! Rotary tools are small yet powerful gadgets.
They are handheld motorized machines and most of them come with several different top-part attachments. Moreover, these products can cut through all sorts of materials, from glass to metal. What’s best about them is that the user has control and flexibility during the entire time. Here are some of the things a rotary tool can do:
- You can cut baseboards or use it for crown molding and wainscoting;
- Users can polish different surfaces like faucets, doorknobs, and even delicate jewelry;
- One could engrave all kind of messages on metal surfaces;
- Cutting accessories play the role of sawing through fiberglass, wood, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
The most noticeable difference is the size of the motor where tools have a significantly more powerful motor, for example, the Dremel 4000 has a 1.6 amp motor, whereas the Dremel 3000 has a 1.2 amp motor.
Choosing the best rotary tool for your needs may depend on many things. Are you going to be using this tool every day? Are you going to be using it for long intervals without pause? If so, we suggest going for a higher end product like Dremel 4000 because they are built for long term in mind and are generally offer more durability. But, if you just a DIY enthustiast on a tight budget that is not going to be using the tool excessively, the Dremel 3000 is a also great choice.
As of now, the Dremel 4000 appears to be the most powerful Dremel rotary tool that offers highest performance and versatility among others.
Dremel 3000 vs 4000 – Drawing to a Close
Like it or not, the obvious winner is the latest version, the Dremel 4000 rotary tool. Nevertheless, both kits are good and they appeal to a wide range of clients. Although the 3000 lacks a few features and accessories, it still remains a good-quality tool so, those who don’t want to spend a lot of money on a rotary gadget will choose this option.
In the end, it all comes down to personal preference and budget. The 4000 model is more powerful and, despite the fact that it costs more, it offers a great value for the money.